Today I feel lost and indicisive as always. However today is different, because today I decided to do something about my situation and made up my mind to create this blog with the only purpose of bringing some sense into my life. This will be my personal tool for self-expression and I know it will help me to achieve my ultimate goal, which is to be able to say what is truly in my heart.
My name is Adriana. I'm Venezuelan. I'm 17 years old and I'm a woman. Now, does that define who I am? maybe...but I'm sure there's more, and that's what i'm trying to find out through this blog. So here I am:

Monday, July 25, 2011

Best Comic Strips: Calvin and Hobbes

I must say this is my favorite of all times. Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson is a comic series that became a hit from 1985 to 1995, until the author decided to stop his work because some issue with the Syndicate. However, I´m still grateful for this beautiful, funny and poignant comic strip  he left us during that decade... i have to admit that made me more eager to read the sunday paper and with its imaginative charaters, this comic was able to put a smile on my face everytime i read it, and still does now.
Calvin is a six year old kid with an incredible imagination. He is smart and adventurous, however he is also a misbehaved kid with attention deficit problems, who spends most of his time alone but somehow he gets to have fun all the same. With such a lack of friends and with such an excess of imagination calvin creates himself a world full of adventures in his mind and is a acompanied by his imaginary tiger and best friend, Hobbes.  From the other characters' perspectives, Hobbes is Calvin's stuffed tiger. From Calvin's point of view Hobbes is a tiger, much larger than himself and full of independent attitudes and ideas ( he usually is the voice of conscience)




The Racoon Story: This one is particularly touching
Watterson explains the change of perspectives in the strip according to the appearance of Hobbes in each frame:
"When Hobbes is a stuffed toy in one panel and alive in the next, I'm juxtaposing the 'grown-up' version of reality with Calvin's version, and inviting the reader to decide which is truer."[7]
Love Calvin and Hobbes
Thank you, Bill Watterson

No comments:

Post a Comment